Title: Special Scientist
Number of Positions: One (1)
Category: One year duration with the possibility of annual renewal up to
Place of Employment: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
Applications are invited for one (1) full-time research position (Special Scientist) in the Laboratory for Internet Computing (LINC) at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Cyprus (UCY). The successful applicants will join the EU 7th Framework project PaaSport:
«PaaSport: A Semantically-enhanced Marketplace of Interoperable Platform-as-a-Service offerings for the deployment and migration of business applications of SMEs»
The PaaSport project focuses on resolving the application portability issues that exist in the Cloud PaaS market through a flexible and efficient deployment and migration approach. To this end, PaaSport will combine Cloud PaaS technologies with lightweight semantics in order to specify and deliver a thin, non-intrusive Cloud-broker (in the form of a Cloud PaaS Marketplace), to implement the enabling tools and technologies, and to deploy fully operational prototypes and large-scale demonstrators.
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria (1 position):
- Eligible applicants are required to have completed a bachelor degree (B.S) of computer science or computer engineering and a graduate degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D) in these areas.
- Applicants should have extensive knowledge and experience of programming in Java, Web, Web Services and XML. They should also have good experience working in one or more of these areas: Software Engineering, Semantic Web and Middleware.
- Strong written and verbal communication in English. Successful applicants should be able to write and communicate in English in order to collaborate and work effectively with other project partners.
- Experience in the following areas: Cloud Computing Platforms, SLAs, performance evaluation, information retrieval and data management, RDF, Grid and Cloud databases.
- Experience in software platforms: Eclipse, OSGi and WSDL
- Experience in project management
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will join the research team of LINC laboratory and he/she will have the following tasks: i) contribute actively to the activities planned of the project ii) collaboration with international teams and with other LINC research members iii) scientific and technical contribution to the successful progress of the project iv) writing scientific papers and technical reports in English as well as delivering effective presentations on international conferences/seminars/workshops and v) meeting agreed-upon deadlines and be responsible for the management of the laboratory technical matters.
Terms and Conditions:
Monthly gross salary is based on the scales A8–A11 (€2,000-€3,400) and will depend on qualifications. From the salary, employer and employee contributions will be deducted. The project does not support health insurance nor 13th month salary payment. The post is for one year with the possibility of annual renewal up to November 2016.
To communicate your expression of interest, please send:
a) A detailed curriculum vitae (in English)
b) A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position in English (no more than 500 words)
c) Contact information for at least two recommendations